Monday, June 06, 2005

Alone in Venice

Our final night in Venice included going to Harry's Bar per Roland's suggestion and having Bellinis which cost 14 euros! They were good, but man that's an expensive little drink!

Leslie left this morning which was very sad. We got up very early and I walked her to the bus stop where she caught the bus to the airport. Afterwards, I walked back to the hotel and had a very nice breakfast including a cappuccino. So strange that the hotel's buffet breakfast included someone standing there and making cappuccinos!

I spent the day exploring more of Venice including finally seeing the inside of the Basilica, which is absolutely stunning. Sadly, pictures weren't allowed, but the inside is covered with gold mosaics. It's really incredible that so many people dedicated so much time to creating something like that. It makes you wonder what other contributions to the world those people could have made if they weren't so caught up in art and religion.

Tonight I am taking a night train to Vienna. It's a 12-hour ride, but at night so hopefully I will be sleeping through most of it. I'm on train 239 and arrive in Vienna at 8:48am at the West Bahnhof. I'm anxious to see what it will be like. I got a good deal on the price, but I will be sharing a cabin with three other people. I hope they are nice and don't smoke, smell or snore. 12 hours is a long time...

3 Comments:

At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calvin it was fun reading your blog. Keeps me entertained and jealous. I wish I was enjoying those capacuinos. Anyway, I head to Quebec tomorrow and thus won't be reading much of this anymore. Drop me a line when u get back into the good old U.S.A.

 
At 12:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bellini in New York - $8.00, Bellini in Tokyo - $10.00, Having a bellini at the original Harry's bar! PRICELESS!!!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complaining about spending money - this virtualCalvin is just like the real one :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home