Wednesday, June 08, 2005

All aboard for the Night Train!

After a nice day in Venice, I hopped on board the night train to Vienna. My cabin was built for four people, but there were only two others so there was plenty of room. The other two were a mother and son from Ohio who were very nice. It was a German train, so it was nice and clean. It didn´t take long for me to fall asleep, and I slept surprisingly well. I guess the rumble of the train and being so tired helped knock me out pretty quickly.

Roland´s aunt Traudi was waiting for me in Vienna and drove me back to her summer house. It is a beautiful little house with a very nice garden. I took a quick shower, ate a wonderfully prepared breakfast, and then we were off to explore Vienna.



I can´t really describe Vienna in words. It just wouldn´t do it justice. This is definitely one of the most beatiful cities in the world. When I get back to the States, I will update all of these entries with my own pictures. The best thing about it here is that it is CLEAN! The Italian cities were so crowded and dirty. I can really appreciate the cleanliness of Vienna. It is also quite a bit cooler here. In fact, it is downright cold! I´m very glad I brought some jeans and long sleeve shirts to wear.



Anyway, we explored the highlights of the inner city including the Stephensdom and Karlskirche. Beautiful places! There is also a vibrant shopping district here similar to 5th Ave. in NYC. It began to rain, so we popped into a little bar for a pint of Vienna pilsner. The rain quickly passed and we walked around some more before stopping for a huge portion of Wienerschnitzel at a famous Vienna restaurant. Finally, on our way home we stopped at Cafe Aida for a creme schnitte and a Viannese coffee (melange). It´s like a cafe americano. Espresso and water, with whipped cream on top. Very nice. I love the coffee shops here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home